Saturday, February 8, 2014

Ancient Rome

Today was just as cold as yesterday. The snow still covered the streets. My parents would not let me play in the snow today thinking I might get sick. I was bored. I decided to use The Turbo Time Teahouse again, but this time I decided I was going to Ancient Rome. I put on my coat, signaled my mom that I was just going to walk a little bit and headed out towards the Teahouse. I rushed there opened the door and pressed the button labeled Ancient Rome.

Lights shone and the whole world seemed to turn upside down. Boom!!! I was in Ancient Rome during the time period of the Mighty Emperor Nero. Emperor Nero was born in 37 A.D., the nephew of the emperor. After his father’s death, his mother married his uncle and persuaded him to name Nero his successor. Emperor Nero took the throne at 17, rebuffed his mother’s attempts to control him, and had her killed. He spent lavishly and behaved inappropriately. He began executing opponents and Christians. In 68 A.D., he committed suicide when the empire revolted.

I had teleported to the coliseum I was about to witness a gladiator fight. Two men  prepared their weapons. An excited crowd of Romans cheered loudly in anticipation. Both combatants realized fully well that this day might be their last. They are gladiators, men who fight to the death for the enjoyment of others. (Similar to The Hunger Games.)
As the two gladiators circled each other, each knew that his objective is to maim or trap his opponent rather than to kill him quickly because; the fight must last long enough to please the crowd.
The gladiators jab swords and swing maces. Looked like a medieval WWE fight. They sweat in the hot sun. Sand and dirt flew. Suddenly, one gladiator traps the other with a net and poises to kill him with a three-pronged trident. The victor waits for a sign from the crowd. If the losing gladiator has put up a good fight, the crowd might choose to spare his life — and the vanquished gladiator will live to fight another day. But if the crowd is dissatisfied with the losing fighter — as was usually the case — its dissatisfaction meant slaughter. This time the crowd thought the gladiator put up a good fight and let him live.

While in Ancient Rome I had to visit Pompeii. There was only one problem; Pompeii was thousands of miles away. I trotted back to the Turbo Time Teahouse and typed Pompeii onto my touch screen. Zip I was in Pompeii. There was only one little complication. I had teleported to Pompeii 10 years later. Mt. Vesuvius was exploding. Normal Volcanoes don’t explode they just ooze out lava and rock, but Mt. Vesuvius was no normal volcano. Its whole top came off and sprayed a glimpse of the Earth’s core into the society. I was at Pliny the Youngers house. He was recording what was happening. His uncle had just set out in rescue of Pompeian’s stuck on the island. Pliny had not gone with him because of his school work. Can you believe that? A whole society was dying and he was concerned about his grades. Pliny was documenting his Uncle so if he was not able to make it back his Uncle would be remembered.  A huge piece of molten rock flew right beside us.  The whole city was slowly being covered in ash. I decided to go home before my head was taken off.

I got back in the Turbo Time Teahouse and pressed the Home button. Lights shone and the whole world started to spin and POOF I was back home. The snow from yesterday had not yet melted and patches of ice remained. Ancient Rome was a blast I got to visit a Gladiator Fight, See Emperor Nero, and visit the dying city of Pompeii. 

3 comments:

  1. Good blog post, great detail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked how you explained the emperors, gladiators, and Pompeii. What I mean is that you explained everything well.

    ReplyDelete