Tuesday, March 4, 2014

There I was, in Switzerland. The Turbo Time Teahouse was amazing. It had taken me to five time periods that I would never forget. Today it had taken me to my last and final destination, Switzerland. I had been transported to a breathtaking views of a Swiss village. The homes were surrounded by the beautiful white Alps. I asked Siri - my phone what time period I was in and she responded with her robotic voice, Switzerland during WW1. It sure didn’t seem like a war zone. There was no fighting going on, not even a single bullet was fired. I slowly recalled something I had learned in Social Studies last year… I was in the independent nation. Switzerland's independence and neutrality have long been honored by the major European powers. Switzerland was not involved in either of the two World Wars. The political and economic integration of Europe over the past half century, as well as Switzerland's role in many UN and international organizations has strengthened Switzerland's ties with its neighbors. However, the country did not officially become a UN member until 2002. Switzerland remains active in many UN and international organizations, but retains a strong commitment to neutrality.

I started walking around the neighborhood.  Mt. Jungfrau towered above me on the right and Mt. Finsteraarhorn  on the left. I wanted to learn more about Jungfrau, so I googled it up. This is what I found. Jungfrau is the third-highest mountain of the Bernese Alps after the nearby Finsteraarhorn and Aletschhorn and it is 12 and 8 km away respectively from them. But from Lake Thun, and the greater part of the canton of Bern, Jungfrau is the most conspicuous and the nearest of the Oberland peaks; with a height difference of 3,600 m between the peak and the base town of Interlaken. This along with the extreme steepness of the north face of this mountain had earned it an early reputation for inaccessibility. The Jungfrau is the westernmost and highest point of a gigantic 10 km wall oh mountains dominating the valleys of Lauterbrunnen and Grindelwald. The wall is formed by the alignment of the most distinctive north faces in the Alps, with the Mönch(4,107 m) and Eiger (3,970 m) to the east of the Jungfrau and overlooking the valley to its north from a towering height of up to 3 km.The Jungfrau is approximately 6 km from the Eiger with the summit of the Mönch between the two mountains. The tall mountain wall stretches to the east up to the Fiescherwand and to the west up to the Lauterbrunnen. The difference of altitude between the deep valley of Lauterbrunnen (800 m) and the peak is particularly visible from the area of Mürren. From the valley floor, west of the massif, the altitude gain is more than 3 km for a horizontal distance of 4 km. The landscapes around the Jungfrau are very different. Compared to the vertiginous precipices of the north-west, the south-east side emerges from the upper snows of the Aletsch Glacier at around 3,500 meters. The 20 km long valley of Aletsch on the south-east is completely uninhabited and also surrounded by other similar glacier valleys. The whole area constitutes the largest glaciated area in the Alps as well as in Europe.  

It was a lot of information, but I was so indulged I took the time to read it ALL. As I continued on my tour I saw a young lady. She seemed affable and so I asked her where I should go next. It turned out she woke up on the wrong side of the bed today. As soon as she figured out I was a tourist (didn’t take her long), she immediately threatened to call the police. She claimed the homes were private property and I could go to jail for trespassing. I figured it would take a couple of minutes for the police to get here and made a run for the Teahouse. I sprinted back to the Turbo Time Teahouse and pressed home. The whole started to spin… I bet you don’t want me to tell you that all over again. My point is, I was home. I opened the door and stepped out. The journey had been cut short, but it was spectacular 30 minutes. I got see the most independent nation in the world and the huge Swiss Alps. I turned around to look at the machine that made it all possible, but it vanished. The machine was gone. I thought about all the memories that I had made. With a heavy heart I slowly started to walk home. I hoped the next person who found the astounding device would be just as pleased as I was. Who knows, it could be you?

1 comment:

  1. Good, but you have to use your own words.

    ReplyDelete